Author’s Note:
After stuffing myself full of Thanksgiving goodness, I was unable to fight Spike Wee’s insistent advances on taking over the blog.. without further ado let’s welcome Spike Wee the therapy dog to animals. =^.^=  

My full name is Spike Wee Toomey and I am 19 years old,  that’s 133 in doggy years!!  Just to wet you know, I have twouble  pwonouncing my L’s and R’s so you’ll have to bear with me.

Sunday Morning wewaxation time……….ahhhhhhh ………, moma?  Fwench Toast Pwease
Playing home on the range for the guests at my dude ranch.
Muffy and I when we were dating………….those were the day’s!!
I came from Kowea and was Stitched, stuffed and sewn on July 4, 1993 by a magical  wizard who bwought me to wife.  Once I was put together I decided to wun away and hitch a wide on da back of a toy twuck to come to the United States to wive the American dweam!!  I knew dat if I could get myself onto a shelf in a toy store dat someone would adopt and take care of me forever so dat is just what I did.  Knowing how soft, pwush and cute I was, I felt confident I would find myself a home fairwy quickly, so I propped myself up onto a shelf in a hospital gift shop and all I had to do was to just be my iwesistible self.  Well wots of people wooked at me and thought I was just adorable but only one person weawy had her heart set on me, a cute girl named Twixy who wanted to buy me for her sick fwiend who was in the hospital.  Next thing I knew, I was stuffed into a paper bag and cawied to my next destination.  Before no time at all I was being pulled out of da bag into the arms of a sweet girl named Juwie who instantly fell in wuv with me and took me home with her as soon as she got better and dats where my wife (life) truwy begins!!
Wife was good wiving with mama.  She wuvs all animals and had a couple of cats named Scooter and Daisy, dey were gweat, I snuggled with dem all da time. 
Scooter on left & Daisy
Soon mama started bwinging home wots of stway, sick or abandoned animals and every time she did, she would ask me to snuggle with dem and make dem feel more at home. I didn’t mind at all, in fact, I wuved to help as I reawized how wucky I was and how unfortunate these animals were, I felt so bad for dem so I went to work immediatewy!!  
Micky the German short hair Pointer who was emaciated and had seizures daily.
We found this little darling stuck in a huge woodpile in someone’s yard, it took us 2 hours to take the whole thing apart and another 2 hours to put it back together as not to crush him from moving the logs. 
 I learned what it took to make my animal fwiends feel safe, comfortable and wuved.  I have to admit, my techniques  were very effective and before I knew it, I was a master at it, dey just Wuved me!!! 
This is Buddy, he was chained to his doghouse by a 10 foot lead for 15 years, never groomed, infested with fleas, ticks, skin dermatitis and a fungus, his hair was so knotted that he would of had to be anesthetized to remove it.    This photo was taken at the bottom of the hill in his yard where the doghouse was located and the rain water would rush down the hill right into his dog house. 
This is Shianne, a year and a half year old female, Chow Pit bull mix.  Shianne grew up in the same yard as Buddy above except she was tied to a tree her entire life in the dirt, no shelter.  They would throw stones at her and also throw her food right on the dirt sometimes without a bowl.  They never left her water.  I called animal control but they said by law there was nothing they could do.  I would have taken her except my landlord at the time didn’t allow dogs.   Sadly, I had to have Shianne euthanized  because she became too vicious to everyone except me.  Trust me, I exhausted all of my options to find a shelter or home for her and found one no kill shelter that took her and then 4 days later they called me and said she attacked everyone in the shelter and that I would have to come and pick her up because they could no longer keep her there, she was too much of a risk, nobody would take her on and my only other option was to bring her back to that hell hole……..I could not consciously do that and still stand strong on that decision even though it was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life.  What a waste of a young strong healthy dog sadly she was better off at peace.  The only good thing about this story is that they agreed to surrender her to me after a year and a half of kissing their butts just so that I could have access to there property and give them both water every day,   We wuv and miss you Shianne! xoxo
Meet Tundra, a stray I picked up off the streets.  I always put up flyers, notify animal control, shelters and Vet clinics to give the owners a chance to come forward.  I also put a temporary name tag on her just incase she is a Houdini but  the owners eventually did come forward to claim her, whew!!  : )    I was so happy she got to go back home because pets get homesick too!!
I asked mama one day why she wuved animals so much and she told me how it all started.  A long time ago she seen this very sad movie called Project X with Mathew Brodrick about a military base animal testing laboratory and how dey torture chimps and other animals for medical and other laboratory testing.  This movie upset her very much and opened her eye’s to the reality of how animals are abused in this world which made her extwemely sensitive to every aspect of animal welated issues and things just took off from dere.
Over da years Mama got more and more involved with animal wescue gwoups and da MSPCA and would also foster animals for dem.  I was getting wots of experience and it was very rewarding but da down side to dis wescue business is giving da animals up to permanent homes, dat was very difficult but worth every minute of it to know dat dey were going to their forever homes.  I have no idea how many patients I’v had over da years as dey just kept pouring in and I never counted but it was never ending for 30 years for my moma and 19 years for me. 
As far as my pweference for dogs or cats, I have to be honest……I wike cats better!!  First of all dey are softer, dey smell better and are gentler, on da other hand, dogs are smelly and too wough, dey would always have me in their mouths roughhousing me, good gweif, no wonder I am fawing apart at da seams, hehehe!!  
Below are 3 pictures of my favorite kitty Stanley, we found him and his twin brother in the woods all awone, their mama must have been killed because she never came back. We found a home for his brother and kept Stanley because he was berry berry sick and we had to get him better. Now he is my favoritest kitty in da whole wide world! 
Getting bigger, better and stronger!!  Yay Stanley : )
My little boy all grown up, hangin with his big brother spike Wee.
Next three pictures are of my Simba…….. AKA……. Prince Poppycock, fluff-a-nutter or hot lips Toomey.  I found Simba as a stray about 8 years ago and he is still with us and staying strong, now his is the old wise man, I should call him Mr. Myiagi now.
Simba Chillin inside their cozy box and blankets together.
I know I’m beautiful!!
Next up is our late, long time friend Snoopy.  We found Snoopy as a stray and we ended up falling in love with him.  With a lot of patience, we got him to finally trust us.
Birthday boy!!!
Royalty at it’s finest………………can someone pleeeease pass the Gray poupon?
To answer your question as to who my first patient was,  it was a wittle kitten named Silly who mama found stuck in da wafters of Grandpa’s old business. Silly was a tiny wittle grey and black tiger who’s mother never showed up so we ended up bottle feeding her and as fate would have it, we kept her as well, I mean, she was my first weal patient and I begged to keep her, of course!! 
It’s a tough job but someone’s gota do it, right?
If I Had to say who my favorite dog was, dere is no question, it was Ginger and her 6 pups.  Ginger was an amazing dog and mother, we had a deep connection.  Eventually we found Ginger her forever home which was a berry berry sad time for us but happy for her as she had another doggie waiting for her at her new home.   We have always gone back and visited Ginger and all of our foster dogs just to make sure dey were settled in ok and to ease da twansition for dem. 
Now, if you want to know who was my favorite patient in genwal, that would have to be Scrappy da squirrel, he was da bomb. We got him as a very tiny baby and raised him (with da help of a wildwife rehabiwitator of course, it’s da law) until he was ready to be released back into da wild. Scrappy was a ball of fun and I Wuved him so much dat we became da bestest fwiends ever!!  When Scrapy was ready to be reweased back into da wild, we did what you call a soft rewease which is simpwy putting a tempowawy shelter in a twee for him until he adapts to da wild and builds his own nest, also, checking on him daiwy until he had adapted to his new environment. Scrappy came to us on command from his twee house for da first couple of weeks and would come up to mama and kiss her wight on the wips teehehe then swowly stopped coming all together which was a berry berry sad day for us. We want to believe dat he met his soul mate somewhere in da twee tops and had little babies of his own. We have wots of video and pictures of Scrappy and many other animals dat we have wescued.
Bed time for my little sweepy doo monkey guy………….zzzzzzzz
Table for one….. hehehe
Our wescues are mostly cats, dogs ,  birds, squirrels and a few  other animals, we have also rescued  a fish bewieve it or not.  Mama went to a wedding once and the bwide had chosen gold fish as a centerpiece on every table and mama seen these dwunk guys throwing beer and other stuff in da fishbowl!! She stormed over there and yelled at all of dem, took the fish away from dem and brought him home to wive with us, poor fish!
This bird belonged to a distant friend who was unable to properly care for the bird because of her busy schedule and also the location of the cage was too stressful for him so he began pulling out his own feathers which they will often do if they are stressed.  I placed him in a home with another woman who had lots of experience and other birds, he was quite content there.
As far as house calls, mama has made many over da years including the bird above.  Also, mama is a twapper for da Homewess Cat Project a nonpwofit organization who’s mission is to contwol da stway cat popuwation.  It is a twap, spay/neuter and release pwogram.  It is based on all vowunteers and money is waised through different methods.  Dey have participating vets who do da spay/neutering at low costs.  Once a colony of cats are reported to us, one of our volunteers go out and twap each cat, bring dem into da cwinic for altering and vaccinations, den returne dem back to where dey were twapped then feed da colonies and we also pwovide shelters.  we have done over 10,000 cats to date.  During surgery, da vet cuts the tip of the left ear off for identification purposes  just incase we twap them again we will know that we have already done them, especially because a wot of cats look identical, it is called ear tipping and it does not hurt them.
Mama has fostered and volunteered for different rescue organizations over da years as well, incwuding da MSPCA.  Dere are no dogs dat we have wescued dat have gone on to become thewapy dogs demselves, maybe someday.  
Well, this concwudes my part of da interview, below mama will answer your question as to what advice would she give on animal wescue for those who are interwested. 
Your Fwiend,
Spike Wee
Hello, Christina, thank you for the opportunity to share my thoughts and idea’s about what animal rescue is all about. 
First, before I give my advice on animal rescue I have to address one very important issue which is the whole basis of this subject.  Many times over the years I am asked time after time, how is it that I can do this type of work and that they could never do this themselves because it would be too painful and heartbreaking.  Well, my answer to that question  is, do you think that this doesn’t bother me or any of us who are involved in rescue, to see animals suffer and sometimes die right in our own arms?  Of course it bothers us and it is  overwhelmingly painful for us because of our sincere love for animals, however,  you have to put things into perspective.  If I and people like myself didn’t reach out and act in a selfless manner then who would? 
Most people are animal lovers and only  love to hear happy ending stories but you have to remember this, there has to be a horrible beginning  before there can be happy ending.  Rescuers make it possible for that happy ending to occur. If we didn’t step in, that animal would still be suffering as we speak.  I look at it this way also, If your fear is that you are going to come across an animal who is going to end up dying in the end, then you are still winning.  I say this because I believe that is much better to humanely end their needless suffering than to allow them to linger in pain and  for days, months and sometimes even a lifetime.  
For many people if it’s out of sight then it is out of mind which makes their own lives a lot easier but think if It were you out there stranded, all alone and injured, I can guarantee you that the only thought that would be running through your mind would be a hope that a wonderful angel would come out of thin air and just rescue you from your extreme anguish.  For myself, I can’t even enjoy a nice cozy snowy winter day by the fireplace knowing that there are hundreds of animals freezing to death out there.  I may be a little extreme but that is just my compassion taking over. So with that being said. Please, If you ever see an animal in distress, don’t choose to look away, make a difference in the life of that living, breathing creature even if you have to call for help.  There are so many local rescue groups who would love to get involved and would do anything to save the life of an animal.
Now, if I were to give anyone advice on getting involved in rescuing animals, here it is:  As much as we love what we do there is not always a happy ending.  Unfortunately there is a lot of sadness and disappointment in rescue and you learn as you go along that, saving the life of one animal may not change the world but the world will surely change for that one animal, that is a very powerful statement as well as one of my favorite quotes.   Rescue is very rewarding but for me, it is a part of my every day life and just comes naturally.  I would never turn my head away for an animal in need.  They need our help and our voice but you have to pace yourself  with it, take frequent breaks because it can be not only physically and Financially draining but most of all it can be extremely emotionally draining as well  and you can burn out very quickly!   You have to CONSTANTLY  remind yourself that you can’t save the world!!!!!  If you do rescue expect that you are not always going to have a happy ending for whatever reason, you can only do what you can do and there is no, if ands or buts about it!!  don’t put yourself on a guilt trip, tell yourself you did the best that you could do and that your not in the business of hurting animals, it was out of your control.  It took me a very long time before I could  tell myself this and actually believe it, beating yourself up is not going to change the outcome of the situation, it will only slow you down. I can say this thought, you get harder as time goes on but it never gets easier if you are a true animal lover.  Remember, pace yourself and don’t be too hard on yourself, tell yourself you are doing the best that you can.  Allow yourself to mourn but you need to move on to the next animal that needs your help and also for your own sanity. 
I have an example of what I am talking about.  Several months ago I noticed a stray male cat in my neighborhood.   I began my befriending techniques on him. It is a long process of trust techniques that I have developed along the years along with food of course.  Whenever I fed him, I could see that he was starving and ate his food up like a mad dog which made me feel even more bad for him.   As time went on I named him Chippy because he was always so happy and chipper.  I got him to the point where I could actually pet him a little on the head but only when he was eating.  Eventually I trapped and neutered him.   After his recovery I released him back to where I found him which he was ecstatic over.  I made him a nice warm shelter and continued to feed him.  About a week later I was lying in bed and who comes waltzing into my bedroom but Chippy.   Well…I said to myself, that little stinker, he figured out how to use my doggy door, and he was determined to get in to my house.  I allowed it only on one condition and that was if he was polite to my own cats so I told him that he could stay if he behaved and that he be tested for any communicable diseases before I brought him in my house and put my own cat’s in danger.  
Chippy and I had very good communication between one another and understood each other very well and he eventually learned to be good through a lot of love , trust and encouragement, I think he was just so grateful to have a warm place to stay.  While Chippy was with us he began to throw up a lot  and at first I thought it was just because he ate too fast.  I figured he ate so fast because he was in survival mode and didn’t want another animal to take his food away from him.   I also noticed that he would have these weird spells were he would just seem like he was lethargic and lifeless, then 30 minutes later he was fine again.   I couldn’t afford to spend a lot of money on expensive tests so I took him to my long time vet and asked for her advice without spending a lot of money that I didn’t have.   She offered a couple of theory’s and possible solutions.  We went back home to take it one day at a time through trial and error and things seemed to be ok for a couple of days and then one day I came home and found that Chippy had passed away.  I was absolutely devastated, number one because I was really starting to fall in love with him, number two, I spent all this time and effort trying to befriend him which I finally accomplished and three, for him, that was like hitting the lottery and then he dies.  Instead of blaming myself which I would have done years ago, I turned it around and said to myself, ya know,  Im just so happy that Chippy found a home and was loved before he died, even if it was for a short time.  He knew that this was his permanent home and had someone that he could truly rely on and that was just so heartwarming for me and was worth all the pain that I went through.    I couldn’t be mad at myself for not having the money to have all kinds of expensive tests done but I knew I did my best to make his life more comfortable and if I could have done something more for him, than I would have.  It took me many years to learn this.   It doesn’t mean I have no pain for his loss, it just means that I have learned how to cope a little easier and to put things more into perspective.  I am just one of the links of a very long rescue chain.  If everyone acted as one link, what a difference it would make for these helpless animals.  Below, I have a couple of pictures of Chippy, one when and where I found him and the other is when I surrounded him with stuffed animals in a protective circle of love!
 This picture is so very special to me to know how comfortable and at home he was, he could finally rest from looking over his shoulder all the time.   
To conclude this interview, I want to introduce you to BooBoo, my newest and current rescue project.  I found him roaming around my neighborhood and have a good idea that BooBoo is Chippys brother because they are the same age and I’v seen them together once when they were very little but it is hard to tell.  I’ v made quite a bit of progress in the last 2 months with him and he lets me pet him a little and is just starting to come in my house, perfect timing for the bitter cold heading our way.   BooBoo is a unneutered male feral cat meaning born in the wild and he is missing 1/2 of his tail  but seems to have no problems with that at all.  He is mostly good natured but likes to bully my Stanley but they will work it out eventually.  I will post two pictures of him below and will keep you posted with his progress.
Julia Toomey
Author’s Note:
Many many thank yous to Miss Julia And Sir Spike Wee for taking time out of their busy schedule to answer some questions and share some pictures. 
If you want to catch up with Spike Wee… please visit him at